Tuesday, July 30, 2013

LEGENDS AND BEAUTIES FOR PUBLIC HOUSING

I just saw an article covering the anniversary of Diana Ross' famous concert in Central Park, 30 years ago on July 21, 1983.  It brought back such memories.  Not about the concert but about the star and what she taught me about confidence.


I've had the pleasure of working with Diana Ross on several occasions. The most memorable was the first photo shoot I did with her. We were all so nervous because, after all, it was Diana Ross – one of the biggest, most beautiful stars in the world. Who could be compared to her?

I remember she walked into the studio with such confidence and a strong presence. Hooray for self esteem. Then I started thinking, “I have self esteem. Here's Diana Ross from the Brewster Projects in Detroit and Ronnie Grant from the projects across the street from Lincoln Center. My projects were better than hers. Why should I be nervous? We both were legendary beauties for public housing.”  In my projects, the only thing that was more famous than me was...

THE GOVERNMENT CHEESE!









Photo of Diana Ross by Richard Corkery/New York Daily News

2 comments:

  1. I love it, but where would one ever find a photo of "government cheese"?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mr. Grant- I met you at the ballet and we talked but I need your e-mail again. Can you message me on Facebook? Or write to me through www.bassobuff.com?
    https://www.facebook.com/christine.c.sacchi?v=approval&highlight=886582891386023&notif_t=mention

    ReplyDelete